OFM Introductory Video
Maize High School student Chris Leon
shows the Gold Star medallion he received from Operation Freedom Memorial Foundation
volunteer Anita Dixon. Photo By MHS Student Jennifer Terrell
Read story. Update:
Chris recently raised an
additional $300.98 for OFM.
Welcome, help us build the Operation Freedom Memorial by making a donation or reserving a memorial paving stone today!
Our mission is to construct a memorial in Veterans Memorial Park Wichita, KS.
The price of the memorial pavers are now $150 each.
Any memorial pavers purchased after November 15, 2013 will be inscribed in place at the memorial and the paver inscribing will occur at infrequent intervals
based on the number of new pavers to be inscribed.
We are ready to build the memorial and are beginning construction now.
WALLS OF HONOR
A SYMBOL OF TRIBUTE TO OUR KANSAS FALLEN SERVICE MEMBERS FROM CONFLICTS OF WAR AND ACTS OF TERRORISM. THE SACRIFICE OF THESE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN WHO WORE OUR NATION’S UNIFORM,
PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE BY GIVING THEIR LIVES FOR THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE. THEIR MEMORIES WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN AND WILL FOREVER BE A LEGACY FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS.
THIS MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED IN HONOR AND REMEMBRANCE TO ALL OUR UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES VETERANS AND CURRENTLY SERVING, FOR THEIR IMMEASURABLE SERVICE AND SUPREME SACRIFICE,
FOR THOSE WHO DEFEND OUR NATION AND PRESERVE OUR FREEDOM. MAY WE ALL GRASP THE FULL MEASURE OF THEIR PATRIOTISM FOR A COST GREATER THAN THEMSELVES.
“The courage and strength of the true warrior fights not because they hate
what is in front of them but because they love what they left behind.”
“Listen to your heart and you will hear my whispers.
I am always with you.
Your names will never be forgotten.”
If you haven't visited the OFM Kansas KIA web page for awhile be sure to take a look. OFM has searched the internet to compile
the most comprehensive list of Kansas KIA's from Desert Storm to now. Here you will find photos of every Kansas KIA since 1991 (except one) as well as rank, unit
served with, information on their death, military awards, obituary notice and/or biographical data. If anyone has any corrections or additional information please send
us an email. These are the veterans whose names will be inscribed on the Operation Freedom Memorial granite panels.
Memorial Design Details (Preliminary)
- Estimated project cost: $235,434.20
- Memorial to be placed roughly between the Vietnam War Memorial and the USS Wichita Memorial.
- Build new East-West sidewalk to connect the two existing North-South sidewalks (5' wide X 170' long).
- Locate memorial on south side of the new east-west sidewalk.
- Memorial to be accessed from a new connecting sidewalk from the new east-west sidewalk (skateboard / rollerblade prevention controlled access).
- 1 park bench to be located along the new east-west sidewalk near the memorial entrance. Park bench is anticipated to be a conventional steel-wood curved
- Memorial to be constructed on a 25 foot diameter concrete circle.
- Purchasable inscribed memorial solid granite paving stones to honor a veteran (6" x 10") to be placed inside the memorial circle.
- Black granite stone memorial panels to be located alongside the southeast edge of the circle facing roughly west (towards the Arkansas river overlooking
the USS Wichita Memorial and across the river to Exploration Place).
- Granite panels to consist of 3 panels set on top of an 8" high 17" wide granite base. Center panel 6.5' wide, 7’ tall, Left and Right panels roughly 4
½’ wide, height matching adjoining center panel and sloping down to the outside edges approximately 6 inches (nod to the Vietnam Wall). Left and Right
panels angled inward on the outside edges approximately 1 foot to conform to the concrete circle.
- Battlefield Cross to be located in the center of the memorial on a 5' diameter, 8 inch high concrete or stone raised dais.
- Kneeling Soldier facing the Battlefield Cross, also on the raised dais. Soldier to wear contemporary U.S. battle fatigues.
- No additional shrubbery to be installed around the Memorial.
Born Free by Kid Rock
|Construction has started!|
|Posted: 11/21/2013 10:07 PM|
Today OFM has started excavation for the footings and foundation of the memorial.
|OFM Ground Breaking|
|Posted: 10/14/2013 1:01 PM|
We are pleased to announce that we are nearly ready to contruct the Operation Freedom Memorial! We are in the last phase of going over our construction/foundation plans and once they are approved by the City of Wichita we will schedule the construction of the memorial, maybe as soon as October 2013.
Note that you can still purchase a $100 OFM Memorial Paver for any currently serving or past veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Veterans Memorial Park
Sponsors click on ad for more info
Several people have recently asked about how to obtain an In Honor of Fallen Soldiers Medallion. As of this time you must get them directly from Gold Star Mother Denise Lange.
This can be done by sending an email to email@example.com.
The Operation Freedom Memorial Foundation, Inc., is a non-profit organization (501C-3) established to plan, design, fund and construct the Operation Freedom Memorial in Veterans Memorial Park, Wichita, KS. Any contributions (check or money order) will be appreciated in support towards this cause.